Casey Wilson: Penny For Your Thoughts
BY Brandon Voss
October 15 2012 3:00 AM ET
Wilson and Megan Mullally in Happy Endings
Have you explored?
I’ve always been so boy-crazy, so I never really went down that road, for better or worse. I once complained to a gay friend, “Lesbians never hit on me.” He said, “Because you just reek that you’re straight, so they don’t even bother.”
Who’s your celebrity girl crush?
Kristen Wiig. It’s weird to say you have a crush on someone you’re friendly with, but she’s so fabulous. And Melissa McCarthy.
While shooting your upcoming film Ass Backwards, which you wrote with June Diane Raphael, you released a casting call for lesbians or women who could play lesbians. Did the ladies come out of the woodwork for you?
Oh, we got a great group. There’s this commune for older lesbians that I read about in the New York Times, so when we were writing this female buddy road trip comedy, we thought it would be funny if our characters, who are on their way to a beauty pageant, stopped by a lesbian commune, where the ladies would be horrified that we were about to parade our bodies like meat. Lea DeLaria, who’s a genius, actually bared almost all for us in a tribal dance.
Are there lesbian love scenes in the movie?
June’s and my character think everybody wants to fuck us, but of course these women at the commune do not at all. So we end up crossing the line with one of the women played by Sandy Martin, who genuinely wants to help us, but we take it as an overture that she wants more from us.
You also included a gay-coded male secretary in your movie Bride Wars. When working on a script, are you and June conscious of making it LGBT-inclusive?
I don’t think we have to be conscious of it. It just happens. It’s funny, because our characters in Ass Backwards are codependent best friends that we figured some people would think they were gay, and we’re fine with that. Oh, and our dear friend Drew Droege, who plays Chloë Sevigny on the Internet, is in the opening frame of our movie as a homeless drag queen.
You recently sold your sitcom The Housewives, which is about ladies in the 1950s, to ABC. Will you be exploring the repressed sexuality of that time period?
That’s sort of sad, and the show will be a comedy, but of course we will.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Perez Hilton Coming to Reality TV as a Gay Dad
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas,' 29 min 50 sec ago
- World News Israel's President, Shimon Peres, Backs Same-Sex Marriage 30 min 49 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: Davey Wavey Does Acceptance One Better 57 min 38 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Colo. Baker Charged with Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 20 min ago
- HIV & AIDS There Are Other Ways to Prevent HIV Besides Condoms 2 hours 21 min ago
- HIV & AIDS The Crisis in Prevention for the Gay Community 2 hours 23 min ago
- Entertainment News Listen to The Sound Of Music Live Soundtrack with Carrie Underwood 11:29 AM