BY Advocate Contributors
May 12 2010 5:00 AM ET
I’ve recently become involved with DIFFA thanks to my friend Ana Pettus. DIFFA supports care for people living with HIV/AIDS and educates others about the possible risks. Its gorgeous events hosted around the country include garden and dining parties and feature dazzling installations as well as delectable food and wine pairings. Since 1984, DIFFA has granted over $38 million to hundreds of AIDS organizations nationwide. DIFFA.org.
...Follow the Model (Simon & Schuster). It’s my first book, and I’m passionate about people reading it. It lets them know there is a place for all of us in this world of prejudice, hate, and intolerance. We can do whatever we like in a positive way without designer clothes, beauty, and money. Just believe, respect, and stay true to yourself and others, and it can and will happen.
...fresh fragrance. I was given a gift bag at the 2008 Emmy Awards, and inside was Cannabis Santal Eau de Parfum by Fresh. I have been in love, love, love ever since.
...Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs bags. Both are designed by Jacobs, whose company’s president, Robert Duffy, gave me a bag years ago that was too big even for me to carry. They’re durable and have many uses, from carrying everyday necessities to groceries or even your dirty laundry.
...water. Without clean water, everything else is useless. That’s why I am proud to support Drop in the Bucket, a program designed to improve the health of children in Africa by providing clean water wells and sanitation systems to schools. DropInTheBucket.org
..Stubbs & Wootton shoes. Years ago I thought, Yuck, old white men’s shoes! Little did I know they are fabulous shoes that you can make fashionable any given day at any given time. I just discovered recently that a size 13 fits like a dream. They can carry me from day to evening.
- Film Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity 2 hours 5 min ago
- Current Issue A Letter to My Partners 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 5:00 AM
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 4:00 AM
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM