Reasons For Pride 2013
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 23 2013 6:30 PM ET
Because Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon is bringing his straight guy’s gay sensibility to Shakespeare
Much Ado About Nothing gets the Whedon treatment, with fan favorites like out actor Tom Lenk and Nathan Fillion starring in the film, out June 7.
Because a Gen-X icon is keeping up with the times
Molly Ringwald, a stalwart of John Hughes classics and many a gay girl’s fantasies, is finally rewarding those daydreamers: She’s a hip middle-aged mom on The Secret Life of the American Teenager — and her character is a bona fide lesbian.
Because we have a sexy telepath in our camp
HBO’s True Blood, the only TV series with an openly bisexual lead actor, Anna Paquin as Sookie Stackhouse, is back for a sixth season, beginning June 16. What’s more, the series features lesbian Jessica Clark as Lilith, literally the mother of all vampires.
Because anyone who fights for freedom of expression in Russia needs A LITTLE help
The HBO documentary Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer tells the story of Nadia, Masha, and Katia, three members of the feminist activist collective whose musical protest of censorship at a Moscow cathedral made international headlines and landed them in jail. Premiers Monday June 10 at 9 p.m.
Because damn, baby, we make middle age look good
Queer girls especially will love Susan Seidelman’s new film, The Hot Flashes, which stars not only lesbian comic Wanda Sykes but also LGBT advocates Camryn Manheim, Virginia Madsen, Brooke Shields, and Daryl Hannah. The film follows a group of (ahem) middle-aged women who form a basketball team to challenge the state champ girls’ high school team to a series of games as a benefit to keep a cancer screening facility open. Manheim’s pot-smoking role may be the funniest and Shields’s character the most heartwarming, but Hannah gets to play to type: Think of her as Annelle in Steel Magnolias, except she’s finally coming out of the closet and letting the folks in her tiny Texas hometown know that her longtime “roommate” is really her girlfriend. Bonus: Robin Roberts makes a cameo. You know why.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 16 min 29 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 52 min 44 sec ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 56 min 15 sec ago
- Parenting Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 1 hour 33 min ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 2 hours 30 min ago
- Politics India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban 11:55 AM