PHOTOS: Gay Youth Suicides Ignite Candlelight Protest in Rome
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 31 2013 11:49 AM ET
After at least three young gay people committed suicide in Italy this year, roughly 500 advocates rallied outside Rome's Colosseum Wednesday night to hold a candlelight vigil and demand laws to put a stop to homophobia.
The activists, carrying candles, flowers, and signs reading "I Am Gay" and "No Homophobia," were responding to the death last week of a 21-year-old gay man publicly identified as Simone D., according to Agence France-Presse. Simone's suicide is the third reported instance a gay young person taking their own life in Rome this year, notes AFP.
"We are here to launch a message against loneliness, we have to look after our young, gay or otherwise in this city and country," Aurelio Mancuso, who leads the Equality Italy association, told AFP. "We need a national plan to combat youth marginalization."
Senate vice president Valeria Fedeli, who participated in the vigil, agreed. She told AFP that the Italian Parliament needs to "approve a law against homophobia … as quickly as possible, to restore equality, freedom, and respect to Italy."
Italy does not have any sort of hate-crimes prevention or criminalization law, and when the lower house of Parliament considered anti–hate crime legislation earlier this year, staunch opposition from the Catholic Church stalled the bill.
See photos from Wednesday's candlelight vigil in Rome on the following pages.
People take part in a demonstration to protest against homophobia Wednesday in Rome.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM