PHOTOS: Gay Youth Suicides Ignite Candlelight Protest in Rome
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 31 2013 12:49 PM ET
After at least three young gay people committed suicide in Italy this year, roughly 500 advocates rallied outside Rome's Colosseum Wednesday night to hold a candlelight vigil and demand laws to put a stop to homophobia.
The activists, carrying candles, flowers, and signs reading "I Am Gay" and "No Homophobia," were responding to the death last week of a 21-year-old gay man publicly identified as Simone D., according to Agence France-Presse. Simone's suicide is the third reported instance a gay young person taking their own life in Rome this year, notes AFP.
"We are here to launch a message against loneliness, we have to look after our young, gay or otherwise in this city and country," Aurelio Mancuso, who leads the Equality Italy association, told AFP. "We need a national plan to combat youth marginalization."
Senate vice president Valeria Fedeli, who participated in the vigil, agreed. She told AFP that the Italian Parliament needs to "approve a law against homophobia … as quickly as possible, to restore equality, freedom, and respect to Italy."
Italy does not have any sort of hate-crimes prevention or criminalization law, and when the lower house of Parliament considered anti–hate crime legislation earlier this year, staunch opposition from the Catholic Church stalled the bill.
See photos from Wednesday's candlelight vigil in Rome on the following pages.
People take part in a demonstration to protest against homophobia Wednesday in Rome.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 10 min 3 sec ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 30 min 33 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM