Eighty Percent of Gays in China Marry People of Opposite Sex
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
April 15 2013 1:36 PM ET
Qingdao University professor Zhang Beichuan, who is an expert on gay and lesbian issues in China, told The Guardian he believes about 80% of gay men and lesbians in China marry — people of the opposite sex. Often they have unsuspecting straight spouses or they "partner" with another gay person for a marriage of arrangement to please their parents. Xing Fei, an expert from the Sichuan Academy of Social Sciences, goes so far as to estimate that approximately 12 million gay men in the country are married to straight women.
The Guardian's Shanghai-based reporter Tania Branigan talked to Beichuan and Fei and met with numerous gay people who are in seemingly straight relationships, like Tom Wang, a 40-year-old software engineer who met his (lesbian) wife online, married a year later, and is now living together in a facade of a marriage "erected to satisfy their parents and protect their careers."
According to Branigan, "homosexuality was illegal in China until 1997, and remains a sensitive issue, the country does not have the deep-rooted, vicious homophobia of many other places." In fact, she says, the country not only tolerated same-sex love among men, it "celebrated" it, though "such relationships supplemented marriage rather than replaced it. According to the tenets of traditional society, the worst kind of unfilial behaviour is failing to continue the family line. Even now, the pressure to marry and have children is intense."
Read Branigan's interviews with lesbians and gay men in China visit the Guardian.co.uk.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM