Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 3:30 AM ET
- from Berwick, Maine
- pursuing a BA in sociology and gender studies at Mount Holyoke College
- HBO Point Scholarship
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
In addition to providing me with financial support for my post-secondary education, my Point Scholarship will give me the leadership training and my very own mentor to ensure that I am able to reach my full potential. As a bisexual youth, Point will certainly provide a solid support system for my future as a civil rights attorney specializing in LGBT cases.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
I plan to become a civil rights attorney specializing in LGBT cases. In addition, anti-bullying is a cause I feel strongly about. As a project in high school, I planned and coordinated an anti-bullying event. I hope to plan and implement more of these events in high schools across America to combat bullying and provide LGBT youth with a positive, confident role model. Maybe someday, I'll even work for an organization like Point!
- Op-ed: Rethinking the Shame Game Against Homophobes
- Op-ed: I'm a Gay Guy at a Christian College
- Op-ed: Gay Nightlife Is Dead — Long Live Gay Nightlife
- Finnish Postal Service Will Release Tom of Finland Stamps
- Op-ed: How Not to React When an LGBT Teacher Is Fired
- Cleveland Cabbies Refuse to Drive Gay Games Taxis