At GLSEN Awards, Stars Share Their Growing Pains
BY Daniel Reynolds
October 09 2012 7:07 PM ET
Student Ambassadors Brandon Serpas, Eli Erlicks, Amelia Roskin-Frazee, Dr. Eliza Byard, Camille Stovall, Carly Freders and Jeremy Brown.
GLSEN works to provide all children with this safe environment and education. But the obstacles are many. According to a 2011 National Climate Survey, eight out of 10 LGBT students experienced some form of harassment in the previous year. Dreamworks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg, whose wife Marilyn is a former teacher, took a hard line on this pervasive bullying.
“There’s nothing more important than starting out with a safe environment,” said Katzeneberg. “Bullying has become a very scary and real issue for most kids. It doesn’t matter if it’s sexuality, or obesity, or almost anything. Kids can be tough on kids. And what this organization does is it works hard to create a safe environment, through awareness and education, and through shining a spotlight, like what we’re doing tonight.”
Eliza Byard, executive director of GLSEN, specifically cites chronic underfunding and a lack of counseling as the most pressing issues facing American schools today.
“The decimation in American education is a threat to the wellbeing of students everywhere,” Byard said. “We have some stark choices ahead of us in how schools are going to be funded and managed. It is critical that we understand, as a community, that our youth will not succeed if we do not invest in how schools work.”
Her message to bullies?
“There’s hope for you, as well.”
See more celebrities at 8th Annual GLSEN Respect Awards on the following pages.
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- BREAKING: New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 2 hours 13 min ago
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 2 hours 18 min ago
- Travel Wanna Go to the SAG Awards in L.A.? 2 hours 22 min ago
- Activism HRC Donates $100K to Support Russian LGBTs 2 hours 30 min ago
- Religion Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage 2 hours 54 min ago
- Women WATCH: Who's in the Mood for a Jennifer Lawrence / Butt Plug story? 2:33 PM
- Women WATCH: Out Sochi Olympics Delegate Caitlin Cahow On Going to Russia 1:56 PM