Austin Voters Upset Over Choice of Gay School Board Member
BY Michelle Garcia
November 13 2012 1:03 PM ET
The Reverend Jayme Mathias has defeated incumbent Sam Guzman to become the first gay member of the Austin school board, representing district two. However, some voters are now upset because they were not aware they would be voting a gay man into office.
Mathaias, an American Catholic priest who left the Roman Catholic faith because of its antigay doctrine, said he didn't feel the need to reveal his sexual orientation in his school board campaign.
"It's part of who I am, an important part of who I am, but it's not all of who I am," he told KVUE News.
Several involved in the election told the Austin American-Statesman that they knew Mathias was gay, including his opponent. Guzman said he and his team wanted to win on the merits of his abilities, and not by trashing Mathias because of his sexual orientation.
Still, some voters were not aware that Mathias was gay, and now say they suddenly feel duped.
"The question here is the honesty," Mathias's former parishioner and district two voter Frances Martinez told KVUE News. "He could have been honest to us. What else is there for us to know."
Larry Amaro, another district two voter, said Mathias should have disclosed his sexual orientation for the parents' sake.
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski Endorses Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 1 hour 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 1 hour 30 min ago
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 1 hour 42 min ago
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 1 hour 54 min ago
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 2 hours 10 min ago
- World News Brazil Lawmakers Legalize 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 14 min ago
- Sports Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law 2 hours 19 min ago