2014: FAFSA to Aid College Students With Gay Parents
BY Michelle Garcia
April 30 2013 12:49 PM ET
The U.S. Department of Education will make it a little easier for college students with gay parents to apply for financial aid. The forms, which will be introduced for the 2014-15 school year, will allow students to designate their parents as "Parent 1 (father/mother/stepparent)" and "Parent 2 (father/mother/stepparent)" instead of as mother and dather, Education secretary Arne Duncan announced Monday.
Currently, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid only collects information about students whose parents are married. Because the federal government does not recognize marriages between same-sex couples, some students with gay parents have been unable to receive financial aid equivalent to that of their peers with married, straight parents.
"All students should be able to apply for federal student aid within a system that incorporates their unique family dynamics," Duncan said. "These changes will allow us to more precisely calculate federal student aid eligibility based on what a student's whole family is able to contribute and ensure taxpayer dollars are better targeted toward those students who have the most need, as well as provide an inclusive form that reflects the diversity of American families."
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 4 min 11 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 21 min 16 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 29 min 48 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 54 min 52 sec ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 57 min 52 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 31 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 34 min ago