2014: FAFSA to Aid College Students With Gay Parents
BY Michelle Garcia
April 30 2013 12:49 PM ET
The U.S. Department of Education will make it a little easier for college students with gay parents to apply for financial aid. The forms, which will be introduced for the 2014-15 school year, will allow students to designate their parents as "Parent 1 (father/mother/stepparent)" and "Parent 2 (father/mother/stepparent)" instead of as mother and dather, Education secretary Arne Duncan announced Monday.
Currently, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid only collects information about students whose parents are married. Because the federal government does not recognize marriages between same-sex couples, some students with gay parents have been unable to receive financial aid equivalent to that of their peers with married, straight parents.
"All students should be able to apply for federal student aid within a system that incorporates their unique family dynamics," Duncan said. "These changes will allow us to more precisely calculate federal student aid eligibility based on what a student's whole family is able to contribute and ensure taxpayer dollars are better targeted toward those students who have the most need, as well as provide an inclusive form that reflects the diversity of American families."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM