Judge Recuses Self In Trial Against Lt. Dan Choi
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2012 2:54 PM ET
Lt. Dan Choi's criminal hearing for governmental misconduct for protesting the Tarsands Keystone XL Pipeline in Texas, has been vacated after Judge Elizabeth C. Wingo recused herself from the case. The hearing, scheduled for Wednesday, subpoenaed more than 30 White House officials, including former press secretary Robert Gibbs ad former deputy chief of staff Jim Messina.
"There is something very wrong here,"Choi's attorney, former Army JAG Officer Capt. James E. Pietrangelo II, said in a statement Tuesday. "We subpoenaed White House Officials and all of a sudden the hearing is cancelled."
The hearing has now been rescheduled, and will likely go before the chief justice of the D.C. superior court, Chief Judge Lee Satterfield, unless he reassigns it. In either case, Choi will have to pay $5,000 in legal preparation and travel fees.
Additionally, Choi is also on trial for protesting "don't ask, don't tell" by handcuffing himself to the White House fence. He is prohibited from stepping foot on the White House sidewalk, and the hearing for that arrest is scheduled for October 17.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion
- New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- Media Nate Silver’s FiveThirtyEight site Launches at ESPN 28 sec ago
- Travel S.F. Getting Its Own Rainbow Crosswalks 42 min 23 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 2 52 min 27 sec ago
- Media New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks 54 min 34 sec ago
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 1 hour 20 min ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 1 hour 28 min ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 1 hour 34 min ago