Judge Recuses Self In Trial Against Lt. Dan Choi
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2012 2:54 PM ET
Lt. Dan Choi's criminal hearing for governmental misconduct for protesting the Tarsands Keystone XL Pipeline in Texas, has been vacated after Judge Elizabeth C. Wingo recused herself from the case. The hearing, scheduled for Wednesday, subpoenaed more than 30 White House officials, including former press secretary Robert Gibbs ad former deputy chief of staff Jim Messina.
"There is something very wrong here,"Choi's attorney, former Army JAG Officer Capt. James E. Pietrangelo II, said in a statement Tuesday. "We subpoenaed White House Officials and all of a sudden the hearing is cancelled."
The hearing has now been rescheduled, and will likely go before the chief justice of the D.C. superior court, Chief Judge Lee Satterfield, unless he reassigns it. In either case, Choi will have to pay $5,000 in legal preparation and travel fees.
Additionally, Choi is also on trial for protesting "don't ask, don't tell" by handcuffing himself to the White House fence. He is prohibited from stepping foot on the White House sidewalk, and the hearing for that arrest is scheduled for October 17.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM