Judge Recuses Self In Trial Against Lt. Dan Choi
BY Michelle Garcia
September 25 2012 1:54 PM ET
Lt. Dan Choi's criminal hearing for governmental misconduct for protesting the Tarsands Keystone XL Pipeline in Texas, has been vacated after Judge Elizabeth C. Wingo recused herself from the case. The hearing, scheduled for Wednesday, subpoenaed more than 30 White House officials, including former press secretary Robert Gibbs ad former deputy chief of staff Jim Messina.
"There is something very wrong here,"Choi's attorney, former Army JAG Officer Capt. James E. Pietrangelo II, said in a statement Tuesday. "We subpoenaed White House Officials and all of a sudden the hearing is cancelled."
The hearing has now been rescheduled, and will likely go before the chief justice of the D.C. superior court, Chief Judge Lee Satterfield, unless he reassigns it. In either case, Choi will have to pay $5,000 in legal preparation and travel fees.
Additionally, Choi is also on trial for protesting "don't ask, don't tell" by handcuffing himself to the White House fence. He is prohibited from stepping foot on the White House sidewalk, and the hearing for that arrest is scheduled for October 17.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 44 min 51 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 7 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 23 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 25 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 33 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 20 min ago