Lesbian Film Kicks Off L.A. Filmfest
BY Marchae Grair
June 17 2010 2:05 PM ET
Writer and director Lisa Cholodenko begins the Los Angeles Film Festival with a screening of her Sundance hit The Kids Are All Right.
Julianne Moore and Annette Bening star as Jules and Nic, a lesbian couple who must deal with the reappearance of their sperm donor, played by Mark Ruffalo, decades after their children are born.
While the lesbian story line is important to Cholodenko's movie, she said she did not write the movie solely to be a commentary about gay couples, but to observe the dynamics of any family in a tense situation.
"I always thought we were making a movie about a family, and the threat to the wholeness of the family," Cholodenko told the Los Angeles Times. "It was not about politics. If there was anything calculated, it was how do we make this movie universal — how do we make this a story about a family?"
Cholodenko was inspired by some of her lesbian friends who wanted to have children; also, she and her partner, film composer Wendy Melvoin, went through the process of finding a donor when they decided to have children. Cholodenko added that she was intrigued about the idea of what might happen if a previously anonymous donor came into a child's life.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 25 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM