Lesbian Film Kicks Off L.A. Filmfest
BY Marchae Grair
June 17 2010 3:05 PM ET
Writer and director Lisa Cholodenko begins the Los Angeles Film Festival with a screening of her Sundance hit The Kids Are All Right.
Julianne Moore and Annette Bening star as Jules and Nic, a lesbian couple who must deal with the reappearance of their sperm donor, played by Mark Ruffalo, decades after their children are born.
While the lesbian story line is important to Cholodenko's movie, she said she did not write the movie solely to be a commentary about gay couples, but to observe the dynamics of any family in a tense situation.
"I always thought we were making a movie about a family, and the threat to the wholeness of the family," Cholodenko told the Los Angeles Times. "It was not about politics. If there was anything calculated, it was how do we make this movie universal — how do we make this a story about a family?"
Cholodenko was inspired by some of her lesbian friends who wanted to have children; also, she and her partner, film composer Wendy Melvoin, went through the process of finding a donor when they decided to have children. Cholodenko added that she was intrigued about the idea of what might happen if a previously anonymous donor came into a child's life.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 12 min 15 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 37 min 51 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 22 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM