Study: Kids Are All Right With Gay or Straight Parents
BY Trudy Ring
October 22 2012 3:40 PM ET
Children who are adopted after being in foster care do equally well whether the adoptive parents are gay, lesbian, or straight, according to a new study.
Psychologists from the University of California, Los Angeles, evaluated 82 high-risk children adopted from foster care in Los Angeles County, of whom 60 were placed with heterosexual parents and 22 with gay or lesbian parents. The researchers assessed the children at three points after their placement with the families: two months, one year, and two years.
“On average, children in both household types showed significant gains in cognitive development and maintained similar levels of behavior problems over time, despite gay and lesbian parents raising children with higher levels of biological and environmental risks prior to adoptive placement,” the psychologists wrote in the study, published in the October issue of the American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. “Results demonstrated that high-risk children show similar patterns of development over time in heterosexual and gay and lesbian adoptive households.” On average, the children’s IQ scores increased by 10 points.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 13 min 8 sec ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 1 hour 8 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 1 hour 24 min ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 38 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 3:26 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM