Study: Kids Are All Right With Gay or Straight Parents
BY Trudy Ring
October 22 2012 2:40 PM ET
Children who are adopted after being in foster care do equally well whether the adoptive parents are gay, lesbian, or straight, according to a new study.
Psychologists from the University of California, Los Angeles, evaluated 82 high-risk children adopted from foster care in Los Angeles County, of whom 60 were placed with heterosexual parents and 22 with gay or lesbian parents. The researchers assessed the children at three points after their placement with the families: two months, one year, and two years.
“On average, children in both household types showed significant gains in cognitive development and maintained similar levels of behavior problems over time, despite gay and lesbian parents raising children with higher levels of biological and environmental risks prior to adoptive placement,” the psychologists wrote in the study, published in the October issue of the American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. “Results demonstrated that high-risk children show similar patterns of development over time in heterosexual and gay and lesbian adoptive households.” On average, the children’s IQ scores increased by 10 points.
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: State Versus Federal Law
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 10 min 54 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM