The Winner Takes It All
BY Ross Forman
August 11 2009 12:00 AM ET
On July 29, about 24 hours after the attack, you were back on the track. And you didn't just compete -- you won a gold medal. What did that mean to you? What did that say? I wanted to go out there and compete, do as well as I could. I just wanted people to know that it was not going to deter me from competing, participating. Plus, I wanted to be there to support my teammates; I wanted to support them in all of their events and races.
As you now reflect back on Outgames, what are your feelings? The Tuesday [attack] was just a big distraction, for me and the rest of the team. But we still performed great. As a team we won over 100 medals.
Do you know the accused attacker? Have you met him? No.
If you met him, what would you say to him? I'm glad I didn't. They told me that there was the possibility that I would have to go to court before I left, and that left me very restless and I didn't sleep very well with the thought of having to come face-to-face with the person.
So if you had met him, what would you have said? I don't think there's much you can say to a person like that. You couldn't ask him "Why?" because his intent clearly was hate; he either wanted to cause harm or just disrupt the whole event.
You don't sound bitter or angry at all. I think if the injury was worse, I would be very angry. But there's not much you can do to change people like that. I'd like to think that the Outgames and the Gay Games are very positive [events] and that this was just an isolated incident, hopefully.
You've said you don't plan on attending the 2010 Gay Games, correct? That is correct. Our coach is taking a year off, so I think a lot of team members are not going to Cologne for that reason.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Senate: ENDA Gains 51st Cosponsor
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood 19 min 27 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos 43 min ago
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland 2 hours 4 min ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 2 hours 22 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 2 hours 29 min ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 2 hours 44 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 2 hours 55 min ago