QB Says Religion Would Hinder Gay Acceptance in NFL
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2013 1:58 PM ET
Retired quarterback Jim Miller said religion would be the reason an openly gay player would not be welcomed in the locker rooms and playing field of the NFL.
The statement comes as it's becoming clear that NFL coaches and general managers are curious about Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o's sexual orientation.
"There are some religions that are just not going to accept a gay individual in the locker room," Miller said on the McNeil and Spiegel Show on WSCR-AM 670. "So now are you, as an organization, going to bring that element into your locker room and think everything is going to be OK?"
Religiously observant NFL players, Miller added, are "just not going to accept it. They're just not. It's not realistic for...any progressive or liberal to think that everything is going to be OK in the locker room, and we should all just wise up and accept it."
Still, the former Chicago Bears quarterback said he "could care less" as to whether he believes gay players could be accepted.
"You can play football or you can't," he said according to the Chicago Tribune. "I'm just giving you my point of view that certain factions of a locker room will not accept it...That's the reality of the situation."
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- 11 Great New Tech Gifts
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 1 hour 43 min ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 1 hour 44 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 1 hour 44 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM