QB Says Religion Would Hinder Gay Acceptance in NFL
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2013 2:58 PM ET
Retired quarterback Jim Miller said religion would be the reason an openly gay player would not be welcomed in the locker rooms and playing field of the NFL.
The statement comes as it's becoming clear that NFL coaches and general managers are curious about Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o's sexual orientation.
"There are some religions that are just not going to accept a gay individual in the locker room," Miller said on the McNeil and Spiegel Show on WSCR-AM 670. "So now are you, as an organization, going to bring that element into your locker room and think everything is going to be OK?"
Religiously observant NFL players, Miller added, are "just not going to accept it. They're just not. It's not realistic for...any progressive or liberal to think that everything is going to be OK in the locker room, and we should all just wise up and accept it."
Still, the former Chicago Bears quarterback said he "could care less" as to whether he believes gay players could be accepted.
"You can play football or you can't," he said according to the Chicago Tribune. "I'm just giving you my point of view that certain factions of a locker room will not accept it...That's the reality of the situation."
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 38 min 27 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 9 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 15 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 16 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 30 min ago
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 hours 51 min ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM