Meet The LGBT Allies Headed to Sochi
BY Michelle Garcia
February 06 2014 9:00 AM ET
Bode Miller, skiing, USA
Miller is one of the best skiers to represent the United States in the Olympics, and he said in October that Russia's law is "embarrassing," "hypocritical, and unfair." He added, "I think it is absolutely embarrassing there are countries and people who are that intolerant or that ignorant," according to the Chicago Tribune. "It’s not the first time. We have been dealing with human rights issues since there were humans. My main emotion when I hear and deal with situations like that is embarrassment. As a human being, I think it is embarrassing."
Shaun White, snowboarding, USA
The snowboarding star told Yahoo! News Australia that he felt sympathetic for LGBT athletes who might not feel safe being out during the games. “It's a tough scenario," he said. "You get these athletes that are just as competitive and they’re living their lives and they’re pouring every single thing into this competition. And just that added pressure of being alienated, I'm just not a big fan of that. It's not like it's up to me to change the rules or anything, but I just feel for them on that front."
Ashley Wagner, figure skating, USA
While most in the figure skating world have stayed quiet about the law in Russia, Ashley Wagner says she feels uncomfortable not talking about it. "It's an issue I feel so strongly about just because my life is really surrounded by the LGBT community," Wagner said. "I've talked to so many athletes who agree with what I've said and who think it's a horrible thing for the LGBT community in Russia."
Chris Grover, cross-country skiing, USA
Grover, the team leader for U.S. Skiing, says that the LGBT propaganda ban has been a major topic of conversation among skiers this year. “We are encouraging the athletes to express themselves concerning these recent events as their conscience dictates," he told FasterSkier.com. "As an organization and a team, we do not tolerate discrimination in any form and we value diversity.”
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- 22 Russians Who We Won't Let Vladimir Putin Forget Were LGBT
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 54 min 25 sec ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 7 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 1 hour 20 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 1 hour 26 min ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 2 hours 56 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 2 hours 59 min ago