WATCH: Michael Sam Sacks 'Johnny Football,' Making Case For Full Roster
BY Annie Hollenbeck
August 25 2014 6:14 PM ET
Michael Sam has earned himself a number of firsts in 2014, but this week could be his biggest, as the NFL rookie will learn if his spot on the Rams roster will remain into the regular season. This weekend, Sam made a big case for himself, sacking first round draft pick Johnny Manziel not once, but twice during the preseason fourth quarter on Saturday versus the Cleveland Browns.
Though the Rams lost lost their quarterback to a preseason ACL tear, the team has a surprisingly deep and talented defensive roster. Still, Sam has earned three quarterback sacks this preseason, which ties him for the third-most sacks in the 2014 preseason.
The openly gay defensive lineman also showed he has a little showboating to his swag, when he flashed Manziel’s “money” gesture in celebration of his first sack.
The Rams’ season opens September 7, when they host Matt Cassel and the Minnesota Vikings.
- BREAKING: Federal Judge Upholds Puerto Rico Marriage Ban
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- PHOTOS: Diverse Trans* Beauty All Year Long
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends