Get Out of Town and Stay Out: Top 5 Outdoors Cities
BY Aefa Mulholland
July 11 2008 12:00 AM ET
San Francisco is
a perfect urban playground with a plethora of parks to
play Frisbee in, an abundance of natural wonders within easy
reach, and think of the exercise you’ll get
just by hiking up those hills.
What to Pack: Wetsuit, running gear, hiking
boots, climbing gaiters, chalk bag, mountain bike, fishing
rod, deck shoes, PFD.
Make Tracks: Pedal over the Golden Gate Bridge
and head left for the three-mile climb up to the headlands
to glorious city views. Also across the bridge, Mount
Tamalpais is the perfect spot for hiking, running, or
just picnicking. Ocean Beach, in Golden Gate National
Recreation Area, is a top spot for surfing.
dramatic red buttes and striking rock formations, Phoenix
offers some utterly spectacular outdoors opportunities.
What to Pack: Running gear, hiking boots,
mountain bike, chalk bag.
Make Tracks: Home to petroglyphs and a natural
rock crevice, South Mountain Park is the world’s
largest city park. Hike, bike, run, climb, or
horseback ride its 16,500 acres. For cliffs, caves,
and Dr. Seuss-esque rock formations, head to Camelback
Mountain. The views from the summit make the arduous
2.32-mile climb worthwhile. The glowing red volcanic
mountains of Papago Park, on the border of Phoenix and
Tempe, make excellent options for less experienced
Desert Adventures organize
camping, hiking, and other outdoors adventures for the LGBT
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 29 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 38 min 42 sec ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 1 hour 17 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM