Get Out of Town and Stay Out: Top 5 Outdoors Cities
BY Aefa Mulholland
July 10 2008 11:00 PM ET
San Francisco is
a perfect urban playground with a plethora of parks to
play Frisbee in, an abundance of natural wonders within easy
reach, and think of the exercise you’ll get
just by hiking up those hills.
What to Pack: Wetsuit, running gear, hiking
boots, climbing gaiters, chalk bag, mountain bike, fishing
rod, deck shoes, PFD.
Make Tracks: Pedal over the Golden Gate Bridge
and head left for the three-mile climb up to the headlands
to glorious city views. Also across the bridge, Mount
Tamalpais is the perfect spot for hiking, running, or
just picnicking. Ocean Beach, in Golden Gate National
Recreation Area, is a top spot for surfing.
dramatic red buttes and striking rock formations, Phoenix
offers some utterly spectacular outdoors opportunities.
What to Pack: Running gear, hiking boots,
mountain bike, chalk bag.
Make Tracks: Home to petroglyphs and a natural
rock crevice, South Mountain Park is the world’s
largest city park. Hike, bike, run, climb, or
horseback ride its 16,500 acres. For cliffs, caves,
and Dr. Seuss-esque rock formations, head to Camelback
Mountain. The views from the summit make the arduous
2.32-mile climb worthwhile. The glowing red volcanic
mountains of Papago Park, on the border of Phoenix and
Tempe, make excellent options for less experienced
Desert Adventures organize
camping, hiking, and other outdoors adventures for the LGBT
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 31 min ago
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 35 min 56 sec ago
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 44 min 48 sec ago
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 49 min 7 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon 58 min 33 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Antigay Think Tank Could Use a Copy Editor 1 hour 2 min ago
- Television WATCH: The Super Trailer for RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6 1 hour 52 min ago