BY Jon Barrett
May 06 2009 12:00 AM ET
If i had to guess what purgatory is like-based solely on my experiences here on earth -- I'd skip over all references in religion and literature (sorry, Dante) and draw direct comparisons to the DMV, jury duty, and airport layovers. And while I know of no way to sidestep the hell that is standing in line for a driver's license or waiting to see if you've been picked for a jury (short of breaking the law and/or shirking your duties as a responsible citizen), I've found the quickest way to heaven next time you're stuck at London's Heathrow Airport. It's called the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse.
Virgin Atlantic has Clubhouses in 10 airports around the world (and shares first-class lounges with other airlines at 20 other airports), but there's something uniquely spectacular about the 8,200-square-foot Heathrow space. It starts with the aesthetic-the same mid-century, space-age, swinger stylishness that the international carrier and its sister airline in the States, Virgin America, are known for. But as the dozens of caramel-colored Eames lounge chairs, Arne Jacobsen Swan chairs, and classic Eero Aarnio hanging Bubble chairs attest, this isn't reproduction chic. No expense was spared in furnishing this space, and, unlike so many conference room-like first-class lounges, the Heathrow Clubhouse isn't just equipped for conducting business while you wait for your next flight; it's designed to make you forget that you're at an airport altogether.
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 29 min 46 sec ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM