Out NYC: Does New York Need a Gay Hotel?
BY Matthew Breen
February 12 2013 7:00 AM ET
The array of chic, LGBT-friendly hotels naturally makes one wonder, as I did, whether there was a need for a gay hotel in Manhattan. I wondered until the moment I checked into my room at the Out NYC, the new resort complex in midtown west.
The inventive perks are these: The complex sits in the gay Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood; it includes XL, the newest, biggest, and best dance club in the city, and Ktchn, a restaurant with floor-to-ceiling glass windows so you can see and be seen; and accommodations start at a surprising $79 per night (that’s for the four-to-a-room, hostel-style dormitories; regular rooms start at $250). So the test is in the stay itself.
When I checked in, the sidewalk in front of the 105-room hotel was overflowing with activity. Photographers were shooting androgynous models while racks of clothing changes were wheeled in and out. Inside, the ground-level hallways undulate in black and white, and the guest rooms face either the street or one of several inner courtyards. One of them, the Sun Deck, channels Fire Island with wood, ivy, and a waterfall that streams down the wall, and it adjoins the Spa, which offers hot tubs, a sauna, and cabanas. Another, the Secret Garden, planted with black bamboo, has long tables for reading. The third, the Great Lawn, has a wall-to-wall artificial turf surface big enough to host a same-sex wedding reception.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM