2014's Gayest Cities in America
BY Matthew Breen
January 06 2014 5:00 AM ET
9. Oakland, Calif. (pop. 400,740)
No city in the United States can beat Oakland for its percentage of lesbian couple households. And though nearby San Fran is the granddaddy of urban gay meccas, the much more affordable nearby Oakland is at least as diverse: UC Berkeley students, middle-class families, and integrated neighborhoods characterize the city. Many bars and clubs attract black and Latino crowds for salsa and hip-hop, and the annual Black Pride and International Black LGBT Film Festival call Oakland home.
Above right: El Campanil clock tower at Mills College
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- Leslie Jordan: I Threw 'Sweet Iced Tea, Not Coffee' in Starbucks Fight
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Texas Rep.: Strand Gays on an Island, See What Happens
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'