2014's Gayest Cities in America
BY Matthew Breen
January 06 2014 5:00 AM ET
9. Oakland, Calif. (pop. 400,740)
No city in the United States can beat Oakland for its percentage of lesbian couple households. And though nearby San Fran is the granddaddy of urban gay meccas, the much more affordable nearby Oakland is at least as diverse: UC Berkeley students, middle-class families, and integrated neighborhoods characterize the city. Many bars and clubs attract black and Latino crowds for salsa and hip-hop, and the annual Black Pride and International Black LGBT Film Festival call Oakland home.
Above right: El Campanil clock tower at Mills College
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Hot Sheet: Guardians and Go-Go Boys
- Artist Spotlight: Czanara
- Michael Lannan's Looking Is More Than Gay Sex and the City
- LISTEN: 19 Kids and Counting Star Records Transphobic Robocall
- Top Filipino Singer-Actor Comes Out as a Transgender Man