2014's Gayest Cities in America
BY Matthew Breen
January 06 2014 5:00 AM ET
9. Oakland, Calif. (pop. 400,740)
No city in the United States can beat Oakland for its percentage of lesbian couple households. And though nearby San Fran is the granddaddy of urban gay meccas, the much more affordable nearby Oakland is at least as diverse: UC Berkeley students, middle-class families, and integrated neighborhoods characterize the city. Many bars and clubs attract black and Latino crowds for salsa and hip-hop, and the annual Black Pride and International Black LGBT Film Festival call Oakland home.
Above right: El Campanil clock tower at Mills College
- Mormon Missionary Positions
- Jamie Foxx Called Out for Crossing Line on Bruce Jenner Jokes
- Charles Barkley: Move Final Four Out of Indiana
- Is This Photo Proof Mike Pence Knew RFRA Discriminates Against LGBTs?
- Alan Cumming Is Bisexual — And You Might Be Too
- The Only 2 Things to Know Out of Mike Pence's Dissembling Interview