2014's Gayest Cities in America
BY Matthew Breen
January 06 2014 5:00 AM ET
9. Oakland, Calif. (pop. 400,740)
No city in the United States can beat Oakland for its percentage of lesbian couple households. And though nearby San Fran is the granddaddy of urban gay meccas, the much more affordable nearby Oakland is at least as diverse: UC Berkeley students, middle-class families, and integrated neighborhoods characterize the city. Many bars and clubs attract black and Latino crowds for salsa and hip-hop, and the annual Black Pride and International Black LGBT Film Festival call Oakland home.
Above right: El Campanil clock tower at Mills College
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- WATCH: These Gay Prospective Dads Sing 'Dear Future Baby' And It's Too Cute
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room