What Do Glenn Close, American Lesbians, and Trans Women in the Philippines Have in Common?
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 15 2013 3:30 PM ET
One in three women, or 1 billion worldwide, will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes, according to United Nations data, which is why Vagina Monologues playwright Eve Ensler and her cadre of V-Day activists built a worldwide protest that happened last week called One Billion Rising. Women and men from around globe celebrated the 15th anniversary of V-Day by walking out of work and home, dancing in the streets in flash mobs, carrying protest signs, and otherwise acting up to denounce violence against women. Some protests were led by transgender women (like those in the Philippines) and by lesbian and bisexual women (in California, New York, and Oregon, among others). Women even practiced for the dance flash mobs on Oliva Travel's lesbian cruises to the Caribbean in recent weeks. Here are just a few of the shots we loved, including a celebrity who celebrated the day alongside her lesser-known peers.
Members and supporters of various sexual minority groups enjoy a moment during a protest meeting against all forms of physical and mental violence against women and girls all over the world, in Kolkata, India, on February 14. Indians were at the forefront of global protests on One Billion Rising day, galvanized by the recent fatal gang rape that shocked the country.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 4 min 26 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 9 min 3 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 25 min 3 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 28 min 49 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 41 min 42 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 1 hour 15 min ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 1 hour 18 min ago