What Do Glenn Close, American Lesbians, and Trans Women in the Philippines Have in Common?
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 15 2013 3:30 PM ET
One in three women, or 1 billion worldwide, will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes, according to United Nations data, which is why Vagina Monologues playwright Eve Ensler and her cadre of V-Day activists built a worldwide protest that happened last week called One Billion Rising. Women and men from around globe celebrated the 15th anniversary of V-Day by walking out of work and home, dancing in the streets in flash mobs, carrying protest signs, and otherwise acting up to denounce violence against women. Some protests were led by transgender women (like those in the Philippines) and by lesbian and bisexual women (in California, New York, and Oregon, among others). Women even practiced for the dance flash mobs on Oliva Travel's lesbian cruises to the Caribbean in recent weeks. Here are just a few of the shots we loved, including a celebrity who celebrated the day alongside her lesser-known peers.
Members and supporters of various sexual minority groups enjoy a moment during a protest meeting against all forms of physical and mental violence against women and girls all over the world, in Kolkata, India, on February 14. Indians were at the forefront of global protests on One Billion Rising day, galvanized by the recent fatal gang rape that shocked the country.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM