What Do Glenn Close, American Lesbians, and Trans Women in the Philippines Have in Common?
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 15 2013 3:30 PM ET
One in three women, or 1 billion worldwide, will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes, according to United Nations data, which is why Vagina Monologues playwright Eve Ensler and her cadre of V-Day activists built a worldwide protest that happened last week called One Billion Rising. Women and men from around globe celebrated the 15th anniversary of V-Day by walking out of work and home, dancing in the streets in flash mobs, carrying protest signs, and otherwise acting up to denounce violence against women. Some protests were led by transgender women (like those in the Philippines) and by lesbian and bisexual women (in California, New York, and Oregon, among others). Women even practiced for the dance flash mobs on Oliva Travel's lesbian cruises to the Caribbean in recent weeks. Here are just a few of the shots we loved, including a celebrity who celebrated the day alongside her lesser-known peers.
Members and supporters of various sexual minority groups enjoy a moment during a protest meeting against all forms of physical and mental violence against women and girls all over the world, in Kolkata, India, on February 14. Indians were at the forefront of global protests on One Billion Rising day, galvanized by the recent fatal gang rape that shocked the country.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- A Letter to My Partners
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 5 min 16 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 12 min 5 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 15 min 6 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 37 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 50 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 3 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 6 min ago