What Do Glenn Close, American Lesbians, and Trans Women in the Philippines Have in Common?
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 15 2013 3:30 PM ET
One in three women, or 1 billion worldwide, will be raped or beaten in their lifetimes, according to United Nations data, which is why Vagina Monologues playwright Eve Ensler and her cadre of V-Day activists built a worldwide protest that happened last week called One Billion Rising. Women and men from around globe celebrated the 15th anniversary of V-Day by walking out of work and home, dancing in the streets in flash mobs, carrying protest signs, and otherwise acting up to denounce violence against women. Some protests were led by transgender women (like those in the Philippines) and by lesbian and bisexual women (in California, New York, and Oregon, among others). Women even practiced for the dance flash mobs on Oliva Travel's lesbian cruises to the Caribbean in recent weeks. Here are just a few of the shots we loved, including a celebrity who celebrated the day alongside her lesser-known peers.
Members and supporters of various sexual minority groups enjoy a moment during a protest meeting against all forms of physical and mental violence against women and girls all over the world, in Kolkata, India, on February 14. Indians were at the forefront of global protests on One Billion Rising day, galvanized by the recent fatal gang rape that shocked the country.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 2 hours 57 min ago
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM