Not Your Mother's Mother's Day Cards
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2013 3:00 AM ET
In 2011, Strong Families set out to reach and highlight women who are often overlooked in the mainstream celebration of Mother’s Day — low-income moms, young moms, immigrant moms, single moms, incarcerated moms, queer moms, and moms struggling with substance abuse, among others.
“Just about everyone we spoke with felt mixed at best about typical Mother’s Day celebrations. Our family structures, stories and identities were missing, stereotyped or misunderstood, so we set out to change this,” said Eveline Shen, Executive Director of Forward Together who leads the Strong Families Initiative. “We tapped into something visceral in these moms—the desire to be visible, honored and appreciated rather than targeted by stigma and distain. Additionally, individuals sent donations, artists asked how they could be involved; and we were inundated with contributions from bloggers from around the country.”
Strong Families is a national initiative led by Forward Together. Our goal is to change the way people think, feel and act in support of families. Make and send a custom Mama’s Day e-card at www.mamasday.org.
"I saw the Strong Families campaign on FB last year, and it was so tender, moving, and right on. I saw it as a careful dedication to the lives and love between groups of people who are often un-represented, or carelessly represented in media. Coming from where I'm from, being who I am, these cards made me feel a little more seen in the world. That I am thankful for, and that is why I wanted to create a card." — Amaryllis DeJesus Moleski
Click through to see more Mama's Day and Papa's Day family cards.
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 6 min 34 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 54 min 14 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 1 hour 24 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2 hours 10 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 2 hours 52 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 2 hours 53 min ago