Not Your Mother's Mother's Day Cards
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2013 3:00 AM ET
In 2011, Strong Families set out to reach and highlight women who are often overlooked in the mainstream celebration of Mother’s Day — low-income moms, young moms, immigrant moms, single moms, incarcerated moms, queer moms, and moms struggling with substance abuse, among others.
“Just about everyone we spoke with felt mixed at best about typical Mother’s Day celebrations. Our family structures, stories and identities were missing, stereotyped or misunderstood, so we set out to change this,” said Eveline Shen, Executive Director of Forward Together who leads the Strong Families Initiative. “We tapped into something visceral in these moms—the desire to be visible, honored and appreciated rather than targeted by stigma and distain. Additionally, individuals sent donations, artists asked how they could be involved; and we were inundated with contributions from bloggers from around the country.”
Strong Families is a national initiative led by Forward Together. Our goal is to change the way people think, feel and act in support of families. Make and send a custom Mama’s Day e-card at www.mamasday.org.
"I saw the Strong Families campaign on FB last year, and it was so tender, moving, and right on. I saw it as a careful dedication to the lives and love between groups of people who are often un-represented, or carelessly represented in media. Coming from where I'm from, being who I am, these cards made me feel a little more seen in the world. That I am thankful for, and that is why I wanted to create a card." — Amaryllis DeJesus Moleski
Click through to see more Mama's Day and Papa's Day family cards.
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 1 hour 3 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM