And the Crown Goes To...
BY Julie Bolcer
June 29 2009 12:00 AM ET
Mention the South Bronx to marriage equality advocates in New York, and many think of State Sen. Ruben Diaz, Sr., the fiery Pentecostal minister and legislator from the area who vehemently opposes same-sex marriage. Ask young lesbians Victoria ("Vikky") Cruz and Deoine Scott about that kind of resistance, however, and it barely seems to square with their personal experience as an out couple in an area high school.
Vikky 17, and Deoine, 18, were overwhelmingly voted "best couple" by their peers in the graduating class at Mott Haven Village Preparatory High School, a first for the small public high school located in the senate district represented by Diaz, Sr. Vikky, who participates in the Radio Rookies program for aspiring young journalists sponsored by local public radio station WNYC-FM, reported on the historic experience in this piece that first aired on Thursday.
Advocate.com caught up with Vikky and Deoine, who graduated on Friday, at WNYC-FM to talk about the achievement, which is immortalized with a photo in their high school yearbook.
"Nobody said anything negative about it," said Deoine. "Everybody said, 'Oh, that's good you won. You both look so cute!'"
Vikky said she was approached by the yearbook's editor, a friend who admired how she and Deoine have been together for two and a half years during what is often a tumultuous period in young dating lives. Maribel, who also speaks in the radio segment, encouraged Vikky to run for the honor. Deoine needed less convincing.
When it came for students to vote, however, one small error existed on the ballots.
"They gave out papers that said 'boy' and 'girl,'" said Vikky, with the exactitude of a budding newsperson.
Maribel and Deoine rushed around the classrooms and assured their peers they could edit the voting categories and vote for two girls if they wished.
"They all scratched out 'boy' and put 'girl'," said Deoine. "That's how we won."
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 2 hours 22 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM