Boy Scouts Stop Taking Calls, Tony Perkins Freaks Out
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 31 2013 2:56 PM ET
Just two days after the Boy Scouts of America asked for public input in reconsidering the organization's long-standing ban on gay scouts and troop leaders, the BSA's Service Desk line, formerly answered by a live person, has been replaced with an automated recording redirecting comments about the policy to BSA's contact page on its website.
That didn't sit well with Tony Perkins, the president of the antigay Family Research Council. Perkins sent a frantic email to FRC supporters, asking them to call individual members of the BSA board and beg them to "not jeopardize the safety and moral integrity of Scouting in the interest of social activism."
Perkins also published the direct phone numbers of members of the BSA Board of Directors, complete with a sample script replete with scare tactics about the moral imperative of "restricting homosexuals from holding leadership positions over boys."
Read Perkins' histrionic email on the next page.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 1 hour 36 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM