Boy Scouts Stop Taking Calls, Tony Perkins Freaks Out
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 31 2013 2:56 PM ET
Just two days after the Boy Scouts of America asked for public input in reconsidering the organization's long-standing ban on gay scouts and troop leaders, the BSA's Service Desk line, formerly answered by a live person, has been replaced with an automated recording redirecting comments about the policy to BSA's contact page on its website.
That didn't sit well with Tony Perkins, the president of the antigay Family Research Council. Perkins sent a frantic email to FRC supporters, asking them to call individual members of the BSA board and beg them to "not jeopardize the safety and moral integrity of Scouting in the interest of social activism."
Perkins also published the direct phone numbers of members of the BSA Board of Directors, complete with a sample script replete with scare tactics about the moral imperative of "restricting homosexuals from holding leadership positions over boys."
Read Perkins' histrionic email on the next page.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- The Brains Behind Husbands
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 32 min 59 sec ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM