Artist Spotlight: Scott G. Brooks
BY Albert Smith
October 23 2010 3:00 AM ET
How do you choose your subjects?
There are a couple of different ways I come up with subjects for my paintings. Sometimes I'll come up with a concept and work it out completely before I start. Other times the models themselves will inspire me with a specific pose, expression, or outfit. Other times I'll just have a glimmer of a concept and start there. Most all my paintings evolve over time. It usually takes a few weeks to finish one up, and in that time, things shift or my perception of the subject changes as I focus on it more. I continuously ask myself what it means — and why I'm painting it. The process is much like therapy.
How do you describe your work?
My work is figurative.
What makes a good painting to you?
I like to see that there is some thought behind a painting, either in execution or subject matter. It should also be telling me something new or be funny. That said, I'm pretty easy to please.
Who are your favorite artists?
I have lots of favorite artists. A few contemporary artists I like are Joel-Peter Witkin, Odd Nerdrum, Dave Cooper, H.R. Giger, and R. Crumb. Classic painters I like include Ingres, David, Rubens, and Parmigianino. There are far too many to list here, I look at everyone's work.
Witkin is a photographer, so I like him because of his unbelievable subject matter and also the texture of his work. The painters I picked out of respect for their technical virtuosity. Cooper and Nerdrum are both amazing painters and funny. They also make it appear effortless.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 2 hours 31 min ago
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 2 hours 55 min ago
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 6:00 PM