Artist Spotlight: Scott G. Brooks
BY Albert Smith
October 23 2010 4:00 AM ET
How do you choose your subjects?
There are a couple of different ways I come up with subjects for my paintings. Sometimes I'll come up with a concept and work it out completely before I start. Other times the models themselves will inspire me with a specific pose, expression, or outfit. Other times I'll just have a glimmer of a concept and start there. Most all my paintings evolve over time. It usually takes a few weeks to finish one up, and in that time, things shift or my perception of the subject changes as I focus on it more. I continuously ask myself what it means — and why I'm painting it. The process is much like therapy.
How do you describe your work?
My work is figurative.
What makes a good painting to you?
I like to see that there is some thought behind a painting, either in execution or subject matter. It should also be telling me something new or be funny. That said, I'm pretty easy to please.
Who are your favorite artists?
I have lots of favorite artists. A few contemporary artists I like are Joel-Peter Witkin, Odd Nerdrum, Dave Cooper, H.R. Giger, and R. Crumb. Classic painters I like include Ingres, David, Rubens, and Parmigianino. There are far too many to list here, I look at everyone's work.
Witkin is a photographer, so I like him because of his unbelievable subject matter and also the texture of his work. The painters I picked out of respect for their technical virtuosity. Cooper and Nerdrum are both amazing painters and funny. They also make it appear effortless.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Boy Scouts' Decision Draws Heated Reaction From All Sides 7 min 1 sec ago
- Entertainment News Do You Hear 'Girl Men' or 'Guru Men?' 1 hour 26 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 7:00 AM
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 6:03 AM
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 6:00 AM
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 4:00 AM
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM