Artist Spotlight: José Manuel Hortelano-Pi
BY Christopher Harrity
June 22 2013 4:00 AM ET
José Manuel Hortelano-Pi is an illustrator and portraitist born in a tiny town in the south of Spain in 1979. After studying fine arts and photography, he started to draw professionally in 2006. He currently lives and works in Madrid.
He is interested in a new and contemporary view of portraiture that connects via social networking and other methods of Internet collaboration.
Using watercolor — where lighting is particularly important to the paintings' composition — as his primary technique, Hortelano-Pi always attempts to unveil the flesh as a cornerstone of energy and humanity. He instills each of his drawings with intimacy and tries to catch the eye of the watcher with some gaze and flirtatious look.
The main subject of his two solo exhibitions, "Voy a Tener Suerte" ("I'm Going to Be Lucky"; Barcelona, 2011) and "Landscapes" (Athens, 2012), was the male body. And it was also the motivation to create his last work, DEN, a dialogue between the body and geometry materialized in three ceramics pieces and a digital video. (See the video on the last page of this portfolio.) You can learn more about him at JoseManuelHortelanoPi.com.
David and Miguel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 6 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 1 hour 10 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 1 hour 36 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 1 hour 42 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 1 hour 44 min ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 2 hours 40 min ago