What to Read: A Gay Books Primer
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 17 2010 3:20 PM ET
Faggots by Larry Kramer (published in 1978)
Intensely graphic, Kramer’s novel about the sexual exploits of gay men in 1970s New York, which I’ve often thought of as our equivalent of Portnoy’s Complaint, retains its power to shock all these years later. Yet what really makes the novel a favorite is the way Kramer’s often-unappreciated sense of humor spills into his prose.
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman
- Ellen DeGeneres and Gap Launch New Clothing Line for Girls That Challenges Stereotypes
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Blame It on the Queers!