What to Read: A Gay Books Primer
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 17 2010 3:20 PM ET
Faggots by Larry Kramer (published in 1978)
Intensely graphic, Kramer’s novel about the sexual exploits of gay men in 1970s New York, which I’ve often thought of as our equivalent of Portnoy’s Complaint, retains its power to shock all these years later. Yet what really makes the novel a favorite is the way Kramer’s often-unappreciated sense of humor spills into his prose.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: Rick Santorum Thinks 'People Aren't Getting Married'
- Florida Man Fired for Saying He'll Wed His Dog Because of Same-Sex Marriage
- WATCH: Straight Vlogger Slams Same-Sex Marriage Opponents