Adrienne Rich Dead at 82
BY Trudy Ring
March 28 2012 6:20 PM ET
Esteemed lesbian feminist poet Adrienne Rich has died at age 82.
Rich died Tuesday at her home in Santa Cruz, Calif., her son Pablo Conrad told the Los Angeles Times. The cause was complications of rheumatoid arthritis; she had suffered from the disease for many years.
Rich came out as a lesbian in the 1970s and had been with her partner, writer Michelle Cliff, since 1976.
Her poetry and prose showed feminist sympathies from the 1950s onward, and her 1980 essay “Compulsory Heterosexuality and the Lesbian Continuum” challenged the idea that heterosexuality was the only normal orientation and formed the heart of theories of lesbian feminism. Her work features prominently in gender studies classes.
She also wrote passionate antiwar poetry and concerned herself with issues of class. In 1997 she turned down the National Medal for the Arts, writing to President Bill Clinton, “The radical disparities of wealth and power in America are widening at a devastating rate. A president cannot meaningfully honor certain token artists while the people at large are so dishonored.”
Rich received numerous other honors, including the Yale Young Poets Prize, the National Book Award, and the Dorothea Tanning Award.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 36 min 42 sec ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM