20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 4:00 AM ET
Crossing the Bridge: From Mennonite Boy to Gay Man by James L. Helmuth (iUniverse, $13.95)
It's a classic coming-out tale, except James Helmuth was married to a woman for 22 years, had two kids, and grew up in the Mennonite religion. Still, many will see themselves in the author's short unflinching narrative.
Straight: The Surprisingly Short History of Heterosexuality by Hanne Blank (Beacon Press, $27.95)
Blank is brilliant as always in this must-read history of heterosexuality from its "origins" in the 19th century to the present.
Single: Arguments for the Uncoupled by Michael Cobb (NYU Press, $21)
Using high and pop culture references from Virginia Woolf to Morrissey to Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," the author offers a smart and stunning look at the "moribund desperation" of coupledom.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- New Campaign Inspires LGBT Americans to Take Advantage of Affordable Care Act
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 1 hour 10 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM