20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 4:00 AM ET
Crossing the Bridge: From Mennonite Boy to Gay Man by James L. Helmuth (iUniverse, $13.95)
It's a classic coming-out tale, except James Helmuth was married to a woman for 22 years, had two kids, and grew up in the Mennonite religion. Still, many will see themselves in the author's short unflinching narrative.
Straight: The Surprisingly Short History of Heterosexuality by Hanne Blank (Beacon Press, $27.95)
Blank is brilliant as always in this must-read history of heterosexuality from its "origins" in the 19th century to the present.
Single: Arguments for the Uncoupled by Michael Cobb (NYU Press, $21)
Using high and pop culture references from Virginia Woolf to Morrissey to Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," the author offers a smart and stunning look at the "moribund desperation" of coupledom.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View