20 Must-Read Books We Missed Last Year
BY Clea Kim and Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
Crossing the Bridge: From Mennonite Boy to Gay Man by James L. Helmuth (iUniverse, $13.95)
It's a classic coming-out tale, except James Helmuth was married to a woman for 22 years, had two kids, and grew up in the Mennonite religion. Still, many will see themselves in the author's short unflinching narrative.
Straight: The Surprisingly Short History of Heterosexuality by Hanne Blank (Beacon Press, $27.95)
Blank is brilliant as always in this must-read history of heterosexuality from its "origins" in the 19th century to the present.
Single: Arguments for the Uncoupled by Michael Cobb (NYU Press, $21)
Using high and pop culture references from Virginia Woolf to Morrissey to Beyoncé's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)," the author offers a smart and stunning look at the "moribund desperation" of coupledom.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 49 min 20 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM