John Carroll: How My Meanest Teacher Made Me a Success
BY John Carroll
May 02 2012 2:32 PM ET
Huh? Now, you have to remember, I had been at the school for a year and a half at this point and he thinks I haven’t learned a thing? Girl, it was not looking too good for John. It was turning out to be a “you don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here” kind of moment. How was I going to explain this to my family? How was I going to ever face the other students again? How was I going to get all those fucking Madonna pictures off my dorm room wall?
I remember feeling my stomach drop and getting that metallic taste in my mouth. You know, the one you get right before you blow chunks. I couldn’t get kicked out. Going to Juilliard had been my dream ever since I started to dance.
Maybe they didn’t see it, but I was working my ass off. Ballet had always been difficult for me. It's often said that “ballet is the root of all dance." Well, I say “ballet is the root of all evil!” Coming from a kid with meningitis who had to learn to walk all over again, my balance was always a little off. Pirouettes were never my strong point and moving slow and controlled was an iffy situation at best, but God damn it, I am a great dancer!
I saw that box of tissues and remember thinking to myself, “Do not cry, do not let them see you cry.” Besides the fact that it would have given that fucktard of a "teacher" the satisfaction of breaking me, it would have more importantly uncurled my lashes and left tear stains in the translucent powder I was secretly wearing. I was in survival mode, people. You go with what you know.
Thank God above, once that teacher said his peace, more than one faculty member jumped in to defend me.
Suddenly I had all these teachers on my side, proving that jackass wrong. One teacher said that I could likely benefit from meditation. Upon hearing this, another teacher chimed in quite aggravated, “You told him he could benefit from medication?” “No!" the first teacher replied, "Med-i-ta-tion!”
Once the entire ballet faculty finished vomiting up all of their opinions of my dancing, they made a strategy for my success. The "strategy" basically consisted of "don't suck anymore" mixed in with "the fear of God." Before I was let go from my artistic interrogation, one of the faculty members commented on how handsome I looked. And though time has passed and my memory isn't quite what it used to be, I'm pretty sure many of the other teachers whole-heartedly agreed. Blind 'em with beauty, kids!
After the meeting, I went to the nearest bathroom, locked myself in a stall, and balled my eyes out. It appeared that my head was off the chopping block…at least for now. Dance was my life and that school meant the world to me. The thought of possibly being cast out of the kingdom was devastating.
The rest of my Juilliard experience was more of the same; fear-based dance, tears, and diarrhea.
Side note: After graduation, I was blessed beyond belief to work with not only Ann Reinking, but Gwen Verdon in my first job right out of the gate. During a break from that show, I went to go see a dance company that some of my friends from Juilliard were performing in. Well wouldn't you know, by the fickle finger of fate, the same teacher who tried to defecate on my dreams was performing as a guest artist with the company. Oh, and by the way, his dancing stunk! His movement quality was tense, bland, and non-musical. In a word: hideous. I learned then and there that everyone has an opinion and, for the most part, who the fuck cares?
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM