Hot Sheet: Kelis,
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2010 6:40 AM ET
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse: She doesn’t smoke, she doesn’t drink, and she doesn’t believe in premarital sex. And all those qualities come to the fore in Eclipse, the third in the series of film adaptations of Mormon author Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight books. Unlike in the first two films, in Eclipse the characters seem to finally be growing up — you even get the sense of some sexual tension all around in the love triangle of Bella, Edward, and Jacob. And with Taylor Lautner near-nude on several occasions, the eye candy is most certainly out in full force.
The Last Airbender: No twist ending. No endlessly trying to figure out what the hell M. Night Shyamalan is talking about. For his latest film (an adaptation of an animated kids’ series), the director even keeps the run time to a cool 95 minutes to tell the story of a war of the elements. Reviews for the film have been poor, but based on early box office receipts, this promises to be Shyamalan’s most successful film since The Village.
Love Ranch: Helen Mirren plays a madam who, with her husband (Joe Pesci), opens Nevada’s first legal brothel. Gay favorites Gina Gershon and Leslie Jordan pop up in small roles, and you get the sense some of these hookers would rather be getting up close and personal with each other than their male clients. Taylor Hackford (Mirren’s real-life husband and the much-honored director of Ray) directs.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing It Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- WATCH: S.C. Senator Uses Confederate Flag Debate to Deliver Antigay Rant
- 15 More Queers and Allies to Watch in 2015
- Rep. Steve King Wants Congress to Denounce Supreme Court's Marriage Equality Ruling
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality