The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2010 7:30 AM ET
Barry Munday — You think you’re having a bad day? At the start of Barry Munday, the titular character (Patrick Wilson) wakes up from an attack to find his family jewels have been cut off. To make matters worse, he’s facing a paternity suit from a woman he doesn’t remember sleeping with. Gay faves Judy Greer and Cybill Shepherd costar in this offbeat comedy that makes full use of Wilson’s talents.
Case 39 — In the nearly four years since Case 39 was shot, Bradley Cooper has seen his star status rocket past Renée Zellweger’s and the two have taken up with each other and started playing house. So it should come as no shock that while Cooper gets above-the-title billing, his part really isn’t that big. That said, this horror offering about a social worker and her odd new charge likely won’t set the box office ablaze ... but for those of you who’ve been missing Zellweger in action, it’s a welcome return.
Let Me In — Viewers will find it easy to read a timely gay analogy into this haunting psychological thriller about a lonely, bullied preteen boy who finds the sympathetic girl next door is a vampire. But for viewers just looking for a riveting suspense film, this American adaptation of Sweden’s acclaimed Let the Right One In delivers chills, superb performances, brooding atmosphere, and unexpected poignancy.
The Social Network — The story of nerdy billionaire Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg (a star-making performance by Jesse Eisenberg) might not sound like compelling movie material, but Aaron Sorkin’s razor-sharp screenplay (based on the book The Accidental Billionaires) has more on its mind than the creation of the social networking website. Whether it’s factual or not, director David Fincher has deftly crafted a relatable tale about outsiders and what they’ll do to belong to the in crowd and delivered one of the year’s best films.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 1 hour 34 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 15 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM