The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 10 2010 9:00 AM ET
The Tempest — Shakespeare’s turbulent Prospero, a wizard in exile, gets a sex change and makes the story a vehicle for the formidable Helen Mirren (as Prospera). Julie Taymor’s imaginative adaptation of the one of the bard's most magical plays is full of sound and fury, but when Mirren isn't on-screen, it's mostly plodding. Mirren's scenes with androgynous Ben Whishaw (as the sprite Ariel) are, well, sprightly, but Russell Brand, Djimon Hounsou, and the rest of the cast seem lost at sea.
The Tourist — Both Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp look gorgeous, but neither can compete with the beauty of Venice's Grand Canal. The superstars surprisingly fail to spark much heat in this romantic escapade, an unsatisfying English-language remake of a 2005 French film. What seems like an homage to Hitchcock's still-spellbinding North by Northwest is undone by the deadly pacing.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM