BY Brandon Voss
January 07 2011 2:00 PM ET
4. CABARET: Loose Chanteuse, Varla Jean Merman
With saucy numbers like a Mozart–Lady Gaga mash-up, the divine Miss Merman kicks off a national tour of her new act through January 15 at the Cavern Club Theatre in Los Angeles. A beloved creation of Jeffery Roberson, the Girls Will Be Girls star also shares the terror of being trapped in a Toyota Prius with a lesbian in a video spoof of Tracy Chapman’s “Fast Car.” Tom Judson — pruriently known as Gus Mattox — tickles the ivories.
3. TV: Your OWN Show: Oprah’s Search for the Next TV Star
Nancy O’Dell and Queer Eye’s Carson Kressley host this inspiring reality contest from executive producer Mark Burnett, which debuts January 7 on OWN. The 10 TV host hopefuls, who’ll be mentored by established hosts like Suze Orman, include West Hollywood YouTube comic Ryan O'Connor (pictured) of Ryan O’Connor Eats His Feelings cabaret fame. He’s got some tough competition, but Ryan hopes the nation needs another gay best friend.
2. BOOK: Welcome to My World, Johnny Weir
Are you sitting? Yep, the Olympic figure skater officially admits he’s gay in this witty collection of outrageous essays and anecdotes about skating, fashion, pop culture, and all things Johnny. “In a sexual way, I'm gay, but I would marry a woman tomorrow if it struck me,” he writes in hopes of setting an example for troubled LGBT youths bullied at school or with tough parents. “I don't think sex and relationships necessarily have to go together."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet