Pu Yi, China’s last emperor, outed in new biography
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 10 2001 12:00 AM ET
The Los Angeles Times reports that Pu Yithe last reigning member of Chinas Qing dynasty, who was the subject of the popular film The Last Emperorwas secretly homosexual, as revealed in Jia Yinghuas new biography, Unlocking the Secrets of the Last Emperors Final Marriage. The book sheds light on Pu Yis affair with a eunuch possessed of red lips and white teeth and also includes a picture of the deposed monarch with Wang Fengchi, a castrated servant with whom he was alleged to have had out-of-the-ordinary relations. The primary focus of the book is Pu Yis marriage to Li Shuxian, a twice-divorced dance hall hostess and alleged prostitute who married for wealth and glamour and found herself paired with a sexually dysfunctional pauper. The book has been promoted for months before its release in the Chinese press with headlines such as Was the Last Emperor Gay?
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Ex-BYU Student Assaulted, Evicted After Coming Out