Boy George opens new musical, makes controversial TV appearance
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 15 2002 1:00 AM ET
Reuters reports that Taboo, a new stage musical featuring 21 new songs written by Boy George, began previews Monday in London's West End. Named after the London nightclub where George spent much of his youth, the musical tells the story of a young man in 1980s London and the colorful characters he meets--including Boy George (who will be portrayed by an impersonator). In an interview last year, George said about the show that "the message really is that no matter what someone looks like, they are still a person." Taboo's official opening is scheduled for January 29.
In the meantime, Boy George has drawn criticism in the United Kingdom over his recent appearance on Frank Skinner's talk show. Ananova.com reports that more than 20 viewers complained about the show to the Independent Television Commission after George "talked to Skinner about subjects such as buggery and masturbation." The ITC voted to uphold viewer complaints and ruled that "Boy George seemed to be determined to disconcert Skinner through a series of 'outrageous' suggestions," adding, "The ITC did feel that the unrelenting sexual nature of the whole Boy George interview, and one or two of the references in particular, had gone beyond the limits of the code." The ITC, however, rejected complaints from viewers about Skinner's jokes regarding the war against the Taliban, calling the remarks "justifiable satire."
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 58 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM