CBS gets a handful of complaints about the Tonys' gay kiss
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 10 2003 11:00 PM ET
Newsday reports that a few dozen viewers of Sunday's Tony Awards contacted CBS to complain about the kiss between Best Original Score winners Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman. A network spokesman said they had received a "small to moderate" amount of negative feedback, "about 10 phone calls and 68 E-mails." Not everyone had a problem with the same-sex affection: Michele Pawk, during her acceptance speech for Best Featured Actress in a Play, noted, "Men kissing each other onstage. Drag queens. Children. It's a perfect world." Similarly, the Best Featured Actor in a Play, Denis O'Hare, said later that he wouldn't have dreamed of not mentioning his boyfriend in his speech. "My relationship comes before my career," he told Newsday. "There was never any question of me not thanking him, and it wasn't intended as a political statement. It would be a sad day if I had to not thank my boyfriend."
While the evening was seen as a triumph for gay visibility on television, there was a limit to that visibility--the New York Daily News reports that, according to preliminary numbers, the 2003 Tonys was the least-watched edition of the Broadway awards in television history, drawing 7.95 million viewers.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 17 min 23 sec ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 28 min 41 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 30 min 6 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 33 min 55 sec ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 1 hour 17 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM