CBS gets a handful of complaints about the Tonys' gay kiss
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 11 2003 12:00 AM ET
Newsday reports that a few dozen viewers of Sunday's Tony Awards contacted CBS to complain about the kiss between Best Original Score winners Scott Wittman and Marc Shaiman. A network spokesman said they had received a "small to moderate" amount of negative feedback, "about 10 phone calls and 68 E-mails." Not everyone had a problem with the same-sex affection: Michele Pawk, during her acceptance speech for Best Featured Actress in a Play, noted, "Men kissing each other onstage. Drag queens. Children. It's a perfect world." Similarly, the Best Featured Actor in a Play, Denis O'Hare, said later that he wouldn't have dreamed of not mentioning his boyfriend in his speech. "My relationship comes before my career," he told Newsday. "There was never any question of me not thanking him, and it wasn't intended as a political statement. It would be a sad day if I had to not thank my boyfriend."
While the evening was seen as a triumph for gay visibility on television, there was a limit to that visibility--the New York Daily News reports that, according to preliminary numbers, the 2003 Tonys was the least-watched edition of the Broadway awards in television history, drawing 7.95 million viewers.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 45 min 56 sec ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 1 hour 45 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 1 hour 54 min ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 3:14 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2:27 PM
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2:11 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1:56 PM