Strand to distribute Berlin film fest winner
March 06 2004 1:00 AM ET
Strand Releasing, helmed by out copresident Marcus Hu, has acquired U.S. rights to Fatih Akin's Head On, which this year became the first German entry in nearly 20 years to win the Golden Bear award at the Berlin International Film Festival. Gegen Die Wand (Head On) was directed by 30-year-old filmmaker Akin, who was born to Turkish parents in Hamburg, Germany. Described in Daily Variety as a gritty contemporary love story, the drama tells the story of a "culturally alienated Turkish-German couple in Hamburg, each of whom has their own reasons for entering into a marriage of convenience that radically changes their lives."
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- RuPaul Slays in New Video 'Modern Love'