BY Brandon Voss
October 07 2011 3:10 PM ET
4. MUSIC: Beauty Queen Sister, Indigo Girls
Recorded in Nashville, the latest Indigo Girls album reunites Amy Ray and Emily Saliers with producer Peter Collins, with whom the lesbian folk-pop duo collaborated on 1992’s Rites of Passage and 1994’s Swamp Ophelia. Old-school romance, contemporary social consciousness, and an impressive roster of guest musicians add fresh soul and shade to songs like peppy lead single “Making Promises” and the moody, string-driven “Yoke.”
3. BOOK: Seriously… I’m Kidding, Ellen DeGeneres
“I've learned a lot about life and love and other ‘L’ words since I wrote my last book, and there are things I want to share with the world,” writes Ellen in her tongue-in-cheek new advice manual, which is as wise and empowering as it is breezy and hilarious. Indeed, much fodder has unfolded since 2003’s The Funny Thing Is…, including the talk show host’s brief American Idol stint and marriage to the scented lotion–loving Portia de Rossi.
2. FILM: Dirty Girl
In theaters October 7, gay filmmaker Abe Sylvia’s spirited feel-good debut feature stars Kaboom’s Juno Temple stars as a rebellious Oklahoma teen who in 1987 takes a musical fantasy–fueled road trip to California with classmate Clarke (out newcomer Jeremy Dozier), a fat gay loner escaping his abusive father. Look for a cameo by Jonathan Slavin as a sex-ed teacher. Are you a dirty girl? Air your own laundry at DirtySecretsBlog.com.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM