BY Brandon Voss
October 14 2011 5:50 PM ET
7. FILM: Reel Affirmations 20
The 20th anniversary of Washington D.C.’s International LGBT Film Festival runs through October 22 and features Italian comedy Loose Cannons; An Ordinary Family, Mike Akel’s intense dramedy about a boyfriend meeting the in-laws; Pariah, Dee Rees’s lesbian teen drama; and the world premiere of Dan Lantz’s Into the Lions Den, a road trip romp starring Jesse Archer and Ronnie Kroell. For a schedule visit reelaffirmations.org.
6. TV: Miss Representation
Jennifer Newsom’s movie, which premieres October 20 as part of OWN’s Documentary Film Club, explores the media’s responsibility for the under-representation of women in positions of power. Influential women in politics, news, and entertainment such as Rachel Maddow, Margaret Cho, Katie Couric, Geena Davis, Rosario Dawson, Jane Fonda, Nancy Pelosi, Condoleezza Rice, and Gloria Steinem are among those interviewed.
5. MUSIC: With the Wild Crowd! – Live in Athens, GA, The B-52s
The very first official live album from the B-52s — Cindy Wilson and gay members Fred Schneider, Kate Pierson and Keith Strickland — was recorded last February in the band’s hometown of Athens, Ga., on the 34th anniversary of their 1977 debut live performance. The lobster-rockin’ set includes high-energy hits like “Roam,” “Love Shack,” “Planet Claire,” and many songs from the group’s most recent studio album, 2008’s Funplex.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'