The Best Overlooked Albums
BY Advocate Contributors
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
Josh Klipp & the Klipptones, Live at Enrico’s (Klipp)
The transgender Billboard chart-topper has another homerun with his first jazz pop album.
The Shondes, Searchlights (Fanatic Records)
Another riot grrrl–inspired but modern rock classic from the world’s best Jewish gender-queer band.
Brilliant Colors, Again and Again (Slumberland)
Hazy melodies and dreamlike cacophony by this lesbian trio make for a lovely and mellow playlist.
Toro Y Moi, Freaking Out (Carpark)
Gay singer-songwriter Chaz Bundick has mastered chillwave, but this CD is more Gap Band and retro make-out jams.
Mad Noise, Noise Complaint(Mad Noise)
Bisexual crooner Khalil Sullivan and his band offer up sharp but folky take on R&B with a Tracy Chapman meets Ben Harper vibe.
- WATCH: Dan Savage on Kentucky Clerk's Religious Double Standards
- 'Old Redneck Hillbilly' Husband of Kim Davis Has a Warning for Nosey People
- Why Are We Gay?
- Op-ed: How The Danish Girl Helped Me Discover Myself
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Op-ed: The Real Ramifications of the Rentboy Raid