In Their Own Words: Quotes
BY Advocate Contributors
November 17 2011 5:00 AM ET
“In my world gay people enjoy great security in the entertainment business because it’s very open, much more so than if you were in a bank or something.” —Ewan McGregor
“I mean, my feeling about John [Travolta] has always been that we know and we don’t care. Look, I’m sorry that he’s uncomfortable with it, and that’s all I can say.” —Carrie Fisher
“Do I really want to think of myself as a role model? I don’t think so. The truth is, if anything, I would like to be seen as a human being doing the best I can with what I’ve been given, and as someone who muddled through somehow and didn’t kill anybody.” —Kelly McGillis
“I don’t want gay people to be ashamed of me or to think I’m a stigma on the community. Gay people don’t have to like me, as long as they aren’t embarrassed that I’m one of them.” —Perez Hilton
“It was never my mission or important for me to pass, I only wanted to feel better in my own skin. I think far too much importance is placed on ‘looking the part’ in our culture, and it’s upsetting to me when people use that as a qualifier to decide whether or not someone’s identity is real. All you have to do to be real is to open your mouth and identify who you are. I am who I say I am, no matter what my body may visually tell the world, and it’s not up for public debate.” —Comedian Ian Harvie on being a trans man
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'