BY Jeremy Kinser
February 11 2012 4:42 AM ET
TV: The Loving Story
Filmmaker Nancy Buirski uses never-before-seen footage, photos, and present-day interviews to create an utterly fascinating, bittersweet documentary about Mildred and Richard Loving, a mixed-race couple who were legally married in Washington, D.C., in 1958 but were arrested in their home state of Virginia and convicted of the felony crime of miscegenation. Buirski wisely leaves it to viewers to draw parallels to today’s battle to legalize gay marriage in the U.S., but they're unmistakable. Premieres on HBO February 14.
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- WATCH: Jon Stewart on GOP Reaction to Marriage Equality: 'Voldemort Has Risen'
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality