BY Jeremy Kinser
February 11 2012 4:42 AM ET
TV: The Loving Story
Filmmaker Nancy Buirski uses never-before-seen footage, photos, and present-day interviews to create an utterly fascinating, bittersweet documentary about Mildred and Richard Loving, a mixed-race couple who were legally married in Washington, D.C., in 1958 but were arrested in their home state of Virginia and convicted of the felony crime of miscegenation. Buirski wisely leaves it to viewers to draw parallels to today’s battle to legalize gay marriage in the U.S., but they're unmistakable. Premieres on HBO February 14.
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Texas Rep.: Strand Gays on an Island, See What Happens
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Leslie Jordan: I Threw 'Sweet Iced Tea, Not Coffee' in Starbucks Fight