Can You Wear Architecture?
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 09 2012 4:00 AM ET
When the Architecture and Design Museum in Los Angeles celebrates "the wearable" this weekend, it will offer up art in the shape of clothing.
Charles Phoenix, the host for Saturday evening's fund-raiser, dreams about the combination of architecture and fashion. Imagine a "Pucci skyscraper," he says.
"On the flip side, I think it’d probably be funny to see Frank Gehry do a cardboard pantsuit inspired by his famous cardboard chair, or a titanium-covered dress influenced by a Walt Disney Concert Hall–style neckline," says Phoenix.
Those providing wearable pieces include architecture and furniture designer Karim Rashid, fashion designer Trina Turk, architects Robert A.M. Stern and Richard Meier, street artist Chase, and culinary artist Wolfgang Puck.
"How I really see the world is as a great big art installation," says Phoenix. "Some parts are better than others, but it’s all interesting to me."
On the following pages, check out some of the offerings from Saturday's Celebrate: The Wearable event, which will be held at the museum from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 48 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 1 hour 5 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 1 hour 18 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 1 hour 39 min ago
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 1 hour 58 min ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 2 hours 5 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 2 hours 30 min ago