BY Michael Giltz
April 03 2008 11:00 PM ET
director Celine Sciamma makes it look easy. Her first
directorial effort, Water Lilies -- a delicate
but sharp-edged look at three 15-year-old girls exploring
their sexuality against the backdrop of synchronized
swimming -- debuted at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival
to rave reviews.
Just two days
later, with the world at her feet and boundless new
possibilities, Sciamma came out with casual aplomb to The
Advocate. Now her film is coming to America,
giving U.S. moviegoers a chance to see her work. Sciamma
always thought of herself as basically a writer, but
apparently that’s going to have to change.
enjoyed doing the movie,” admits the 27-year-old.
“I felt like I was at home. So I can’t
say I am not a director. But in terms of career and
what is your job, what is your craft? I really enjoy writing
too. The future will tell.”
Water Lilies looks at three very different
girls: Anne, a heavyset girl exceptionally eager to lose her
virginity; Floriane, a sexy girl who loves to flirt
but is a little overwhelmed by the effect her body has
on boys and older men; and our heroine, Marie (a gawky
Pauline Acquart), who is friends with Anne but obsessed with
Floriane as only a teenager on hormones can be. In one
hilariously driven scene, Anne is so besotted with
Floriane that Anne steals her trash and even eats
scraps of food that Floriane has thrown away.
In an unexpected
way, Sciamma is using homosexuality to get viewers to
see the story of first love with fresh eyes.
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! 10 min 11 sec ago
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas 40 min 17 sec ago
- Entertainment News Paul Rudd On Witnessing a Drag Queen Brawl 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Airline 1 hour 10 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Gay Couples to Wed Atop 2014 Rose Parade Float 1 hour 41 min ago
- Music The Shondes: On Mixing Music & Politics 1 hour 42 min ago
- Travel London's Gay Travel Expo: Pool Party, Models, Giant Shoes 2 hours 24 min ago