The Real Vincente Minnelli
BY Harrison Pierce
May 14 2009 11:00 PM ET
You've been a film critic for years, reviewing for both Variety and Screen International. How has the field changed since you started? The Internet changed things radically. Plus there's not much serious criticism because of the economy and the market. The market is dominated by teenagers -- you see that every week with Star Treks and Terminators and horror movies doing so well. Half of my friends are unemployed; it's very sad. It's not a good time to be a film critic. The best time was in the '60s and '70s during the age of Andrew Sarris and Pauline Kael. I benefited from the rise of independent cinema because I was always intrigued by the types of movies very few critics wanted to write about -- independents, documentaries, and foreign language films.
You pride yourself on being an Oscar prognosticator. Have you seen anything this year that's Oscar-worthy? I saw the best picture of the year as of today -- Up, the new Disney animated film. I gave it a straight A on my site . It's terrific. It's the opening film of this year's Cannes festival. That will be a contender. But the American cinema is so divided into seasons. The summer season is all about special effects, blockbusters, and popcorn movies. The good movies begin in the fall.
You can tell from reading your book that you love your subject. So, if you're trapped on a deserted island and can bring only one Minnelli film, which is it? Give me three.
OK, you can have three. I'll take two musicals and a melodrama. Meet Me in St Louis,The Band Wagon, and the melodrama The Bad and the Beautiful.
And now you're off to Cannes. Yes, it's my 26th Cannes. The book is going to be launched there [last Saturday] with a party. Minnelli's almost like a god in France. It's the French critics who discovered him, by the way.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- You Think You’re Worried?
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM