The New Adventures of Old Coward
BY Brandon Voss
May 19 2009 11:00 PM ET
Did Jessica's boyfriend, Justin Timberlake, really fume over her love scenes when he'd visit the set?
That's all fabricated. Justin did come on set a couple of times, the poor little mite, with a horde of helicopters and paparazzi chasing him. Sometimes it gets a little hairy on set when you're trying to shoot a 1924 comedy and there's a seven-foot telescopic lens creeping up.
They portray rivals, but word has it that there was some real-life tension between Jessica and Kristin Scott Thomas during filming.
Oh, I encouraged it. We had no rehearsal time, so there were very brief introductions and we had to start shooting immediately. They didn't know each other, and they were a bit frosty. They were really smart about it: They were very respectful of each other, but they deliberately went their separate ways in the evenings and didn't become friends. It was a good thing for the film.
I read that you directed Kristin to play her character, Mrs. Whittaker, like a Disney witch. Did you have the gay audience in mind when you were bringing this delicious villainess to life?
I can't say I do anything specifically for the gay audience, but my camp side does come out every now and then -- big surprise! With anything I do, there will always be a gay sensibility. Kristin was uncomfortable at first with how far I made her go, and it was fun to watch. I just kept pushing and pushing her, and at one point she turned around and screamed, "I'll never work again after this! I'm finished!" I said, "Honey, just give me another 20%, please." She screamed, "I can't get any bigger!" And I said, "You just did. Action!"
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 19 min 20 sec ago
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 2 hours 2 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 2 hours 25 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 2 hours 32 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 2 hours 43 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 51 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2:44 PM