BY Advocate.com Editors
November 23 2009 7:50 PM ET
Rob Lowe’s Duet With Snow White
1989 Academy Awards
Naturally with Allan Carr, flamboyant producer of the horrific Can’t Stop the Music, at the helm, the opening number of the 1989 Oscars promised to be the campiest in the show’s annals. But when Merv Griffin introduced Snow White to her blind date Rob Lowe — followed by a torturous rendition of “Proud Mary” — it went from embarrassing to painful, prompting Academy members such as Julie Andrews and Paul Newman to write letters of complaint.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- Pa. Students Allegedly Throw 'Anti-Gay Day,' Write 'Lynch List'
- Scott Eastwood: 'I Support Gay Marriage'
- Rachel Maddow Spoofs Minnesota Senate's 'No Eye Contact' Rule
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman