Travelin’ Thru: From Hollywood to Dollywood
BY Heath Daniels
August 31 2012 2:32 PM ET
Dolly Parton’s fans are incredibly diverse, but this film concentrates largely on Dolly’s gay fan base. Is Hollywood to Dollywood a film for Dolly fans or a film for gay Dolly fans?
It’s a film for everyone. It’s for anyone who has ever chased a dream, anyone who has ever wanted to feel accepted. Of the 60 film festivals we have screened at, 35 of them were straight-themed film festivals. We know Dolly opened that door and helped us reach a bigger audience. We are thankful for that.
At some point I’m sure there will be a movie made about Dolly’s life. Who should play her?
Kristin Chenoweth! Dolly has campaigned for Kristin to play her in the Broadway story Dolly is writing about her life. I tweeted Kristin and asked her if I could send her Hollywood to Dollywood, and she said, “Of course!” She tweeted me days later, “OMG! I LOVED IT!” She is a huge Dolly fan too.
Now that you have met your idol was the reality better than the dream?
Yes. When we met her two years ago at Dollywood we would have never imagined that our little documentary idea would take us to Scotland, Australia, Canada, The Rosie O’Donnell Show, receive praise from Dolly herself, win numerous awards, and receive countless emails of thanks. The Dollywood theme for the 25th anniversary was "Celebrate the Dreamer in You," and we sure did.
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- WATCH: Mississippi Clerk Refuses to Wed Gay Couples, Quits After 24 Years
- Texas Pastor Who Threatened to Set Himself Aflame Now 'Loves' Gays
- George Takei Takes on Clarence Thomas and Donald Trump (and Wins!)
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor