Which LGBT Icon Deserves a Biopic?
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 09 2014 8:30 AM ET
James Dean, played by Tanner Cohen
“I'd love to make a biopic about James Dean. While Dean's handsome, confident image graces the walls of many a straight American college student, most audiences don't realize that Dean was actively bisexual and had relationships with both women and men. Dean's boyfriend at the time of shooting Rebel Without a Cause, Jack Simmons, was passed over for the part of Plato, Dean's sidekick, as he was thought to be too effeminate.
“As for who would play Dean, that's a tricky question — I think I'd lean toward casting an unknown. To play an icon like Dean, you need to be a new, fresh face. However, of Hollywood's current young crop of actors, there are two who might fit the bill: Max Theriot or Tanner Cohen. Apparently Cohen is openly gay, which I think is always a plus when casting an LGBT character.”
— Tom Dolby is the writer and codirector of Last Weekend, starring Patricia Clarkson, Zachary Booth, Joseph Cross, and Judith Light. He lives with his husband and two daughters in Los Angeles. Find more information at LastWeekendFilm.com.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media